Cozy at home: How to safely use your fireplace

by Vipul Pawani 01/15/2023

Chilly fall and winter nights are a great time to use your fireplace, but it's important to do so safely. Fireplaces can be hazardous regarding house fires, burns, carbon monoxide leaks and other dangers. Before using your fireplace, make sure you're familiar with the following safety tips.

Schedule a cleaning and inspection

Your fireplace should be cleaned and inspected every year to ensure it's in good condition and safe to use. Wood-burning fireplaces need to be cleaned to remove soot and creosote buildup, which can cause house fires. Gas and electric fireplaces should also be inspected each year to identify potential safety issues and have them repaired before using them. All fireplaces should be checked for nests or other obstructions in chimneys.

Remove flammable items from the area

Flammable items can quickly catch fire when they're close to fireplaces, such as when sparks or ashes fly out. Keep any flammable material or items away from your fireplace before you use it.

Use safe wood sources

When you have a wood-burning fireplace, use smaller, dry and well-aged pieces of wood. Damp or green wood produces more smoke and can cause soot to accumulate inside your chimney. Smaller pieces of well-aged, dry wood don't produce as much smoke, resulting in a safer and cleaner burn.

Use a flame-resistant fireplace screen

A mesh screen or curtain helps keep ashes from flying out of your fireplace and onto carpeting, furniture and other surfaces. These screens also help reduce the risk of burns.

Never leave fireplaces unattended

Avoid leaving your fireplace unattended when you have a fire going. Stay in the room as much as possible while it's burning, and make sure the fire is fully out before you leave your house or head to bed.

Install carbon monoxide detectors

Wood-burning and gas fireplaces can be a source of carbon monoxide leaks. Carbon monoxide detectors can help you avoid any leaks and ill-effects by alerting you to any issues. You can then move your household outside and have the issue corrected. Avoid going back into your home until there is no trace of carbon monoxide in the air.

About the Author

Vipul Pawani

Vipul (Veep) M. Pawani, to his clients and friends, is an optimistic and upbeat agent who is assertive and exceptionally motivated to deliver on his clients’ goals. Exclusively serving Woodridge, Prince William County and, Fairfax County, Veep has experience in sales and marketing, which benefits his clients greatly. Currently partnering in a family business of hotel development, Veep draws upon his multifaceted corporate and professional skills when working with real estate. An area resident for 25 years, he credits the friendly people and the family atmosphere as a few reasons why it’s a great place to call home. He is active in his community and is a member of the National Association of REALTORS® The combination of Veep’s honest approach, commitment to customer satisfaction and his knack for business confirm the decisive edge. Professional and experienced, Veep Pawani is here to offer you nothing but top quality service, dedication and success in all of your real estate needs. My website has a ton of resources that can help you search for your new home. Feel free to use my website, free of charge and with no strings attached. If you need representation or just have any questions at all, I’m always here to help. Please call me today at 703-980-0249